01745 445168

Support for Carers

If you are caring for somebody affected by cancer, as a partner, relative or friend, there are many organisations that are able to offer practical help and emotional support, if you need it. You do not have to cope alone.

Our Health Board produces an information booklet for people who are caring for someone, signposting to useful sources of local information and support. You can download a copy of the booklet here :

If you are having problems finding the information you need, please get in touch with your local Macmillan Information and Support Centre.

Carer centres in North Wales

Local Carers Centres offer a wide range of services specifically to help you as a carer; whilst taking into account the needs of the person you are caring for. They can also advise on services that your council and other voluntary organisations can provide. They are focused on getting you the right information, advice and support on issues connected with health, emotional support, entitlement, mobility equipment and training. Your local contact number is listed below:

Denbighshire: North East Wales Carers Information Service (NEWCIS):
01745 331181

Flintshire: North East Wales Carers Information Service (NEWCIS):
01352 752525

Conwy: Carers Outreach Service:
01492 533714

Wrexham: Wrexham Carers Service:
01978 318812

Gwynedd: Carers Outreach Service:
01248 370797

Anglesey: Carers Outreach Service:
01248 722828

Credu (formerly Powys Carers Service)
01597 823800

Carer’s needs assessment

If you are providing ‘regular and substantial’ care for someone, you have the right to a carer’s needs assessment.

You don’t have to be living with or related to the person you care for. As a result of having a carer assessment, you may be able to access services to help you in your caring role or to maintain your own health and well being. To get a carer’s needs assessment you can contact your local social service.

There is also a social worker based at the North Wales Cancer Treatment Centre, Glan Clwyd Hospital, who specialises in providing advice, support and information for cancer patients and their families. Please ask a member of your healthcare team if you would like to be referred to this service.

Young carers

A young carer takes responsibility for someone who is ill, disabled, elderly, experiencing mental distress or affected by substance misuse, or has responsibility for caring for a sibling. Those they care for are usually parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters. A young carer could be from any family and is under the age of 18. They may be providing all of the care or helping someone else provide care.

If you are a young person caring for someone, there are local organisations that can offer advice, support, short breaks and activities.

Flintshire Young Carers:
01352 755422

Wrexham, Conwy & Denbighshire Young Carers:
01597 823800

Gwynedd & Ynys Môn Young Carers:
01248 364614

Crossroads Care Service:
01492 542212

Crossroads Care, North Wales

Crossroads may be able to provide practical care and support in the home to give you a break from caring responsibilities. This includes domestic support (shopping, light housework), personal care and preparation of light meals. Funding depends on personal circumstances.

Crossroads Care North Wales:
01492 542212

Crossroads Care recently merged with the Carer’s Trust. Online information can be found on the website:

Taking care of yourself

When you are caring for somebody who is close to you, it is important that you also look after yourself.

If you are experiencing emotional or physical difficulties, your GP should be your first point of contact. He/she will be able to provide advice and guidance.

Your GP may also be able to put you in touch with other useful services such as community nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and counsellors.

‘Looking After Me’

EPP (Education Programmes for Patients) Cymru runs free health and well-being courses – “Looking After Me” , held in local communities, for anyone looking after someone living with a long term health condition.
01286 674236

Money and benefits

Local carer centres offer general information on benefits and allowances for carers and will offer guidance on sources of information and support. Every carer is entitled to a carer’s needs assessment which will help to identify the both the needs of the carer and the person for whom they are caring.

Online information on benefits and allowances for carers is available on the websites of the National Carers Organisations, Carers Trust and Carers UK.

Further information on local sources of help with money matters is provided in the Help and Support section of this website. Some areas in North Wales have Benefits Advisors who specialise in supporting people affected by cancer. Read more.

National organisations

The Carers Trust has dedicated websites for adults and young carers offering information, advice and support. The websites host discussion forums, where carers can share their views and exchange information and tips with other carers.
0844 800 4361

Young Carers is an online service for young carers run by the Carers Trust.

Carers UK offers information and support on all aspects of caring.
0808 808 7777

Would you be interested in learning more about us ?

Join our mailing list to receive our latest Newsletters, Events and Local Cancer News in North Wales.

Would you be interested in learning more about us ?

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Share This